This week I have carved out the opportunity to do two pre-work weight circuits before I start work and have been fascinated by the feelings and then the inner-talk that goes on. You see, it’s been a very busy week with some really tight deadlines on some big pieces of work, that have required focus and creativity from many of the team and particularly, this week, me too.
I know instinctively that physical health is super important for us in the long run, way beyond our working life, and I also know from experience that when I am physically in shape, then my work performance (as well as every walk of my life) is so much better than when not. And yet, on a week like this week, why oh why can I feel so guilty at spending 60-90 minutes focused on my physical health just because I have a mountain of work to do?
This is the kind of narrative that goes on inside my head:-
- You’ve got so much work to do you know, have you got time for this?
- But I’ll do it better if I have done a workout. I’ll feel better and clearer about everything.
- Yes but with the shower after etc that’s and extra 2 hours you could spend on work, have you got the time?
- But in the long run this is more important than work
- But if you upset the clients and are late on delivery they won’t work with you anymore
- Yes but the work quality will be better if I am physically fit
- Etc. etc.
Sometimes I am there, half way through my session feeling guilty at the time it is taking. In reality this is also at a time when, if I wasn’t doing it, i would still be in bed! Crazy! ..and as one person once said “we are not the voice inside our heads….we are the ones listening to it!”
Listen. Our physical and mental health are THE MOST IMPORTANT things for us all to have a happy and successful life and to have the most profound impact on those we love and care about. They should come first for all of us, be prioritised in our schedules and not “squeezed in’ and around our “busyness”. The crazy thing is, it is at the times when we usually postpone and cancel these things that we need them the most! We feel they are “luxuries” when the truth is they are the foundations. But I’m a realist and as you can see this is not always how I do it either. (My mum always used to say “don’t do as I do, do as I say!” – I’ll follow suit!)
This week, this busy week, one of my team sent me a note part way through the day to say “I’m off to the gym to clear my head before I tackle the next one”. This seriously delighted me. I smiled. I beamed. …and I also thought…how courageous would I have been to do this in my corporate life? Even though I know it is probably the very best way to get the best results?
So…..September…all the kids now back to school and the bigger kids are soon to go back to University as another academic year begins. People are challenged at what they want to achieve and are reminded of the big goals at the end of the year (10+, 11+, GCSE, A levels, Degree etc etc). I want to challenge you…
- What do YOU want to achieve in this next “term” with your physical and mental well-being?
- How are you going to prioritise these?
- What are your “golf balls” that are going into your jug first? (watch this:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqGRnlXplx0)
- What are you prepared to sacrifice and what’s the impact of that?
Myself and the iTS Leadership team are here to support you. We love helping people become the happiest and most successful that they’ve ever been, having more fun being themselves than ever before. Put your mental and physical well-being first and EVERYONE around you will benefit.
After all, iTS Leadership
Have a great weekend